Peace lilies are beautiful evergreen plants with creamy white spathes that resemble flowers. Unfortunately, the presence of these plants in your home or yard may damage your pets, especially dogs who enjoy nibbling on different plants in the environment.
How dangerous is the peace lily? Today, I’ll teach you everything you need to know about protecting your loyal, furry canines.
Why Is It Toxic?
While the peace lily is not poisonous or lethal, it can cause significant discomfort.
The plants contain calcium oxalate crystals, often known as raphides. When a dog nibbles or bites into the leaves or stems, the crystals are released and cause harm by piercing the animal’s skin tissue. Even if the plant is not consumed, the animal’s lips may suffer agonizing pain.
The exact toxicity of the plant depends on how much of it your dog bites off, but the stalks, leaves, and flowers are all poisonous.
Signs and Symptoms
Calcium oxalate may cause discomfort in the mouth, nose, and throat.
In addition to the discomfort, your dog may get diarrhea, vomit, and excessive drooling. In an extreme case, your dog may appear to have difficulty breathing due to an inflamed airway.
Although the symptoms are unpleasant, they usually do not necessitate a visit to your veterinarian. However, if your dog exhibits signs of airway irritation or if symptoms persist, it’s important to seek medical attention.
In most cases, home remedies will suffice to make your dog feel better.
If you’re not sure what plant your dog ate, you should consult with your veterinarian.
Treating the Symptoms
Ensure that no plant fragments remain in the dog’s mouth. Wash the dog’s mouth with water and encourage him to drink. Ice chips or even ice cream may be beneficial in relieving discomfort.
If the animal is having problems breathing, you should take it to the veterinarian.
Move Your Plant to Prevent Further Mishaps
Make an effort to relocate your peace lily once your animal has calmed down. Remove the plant from the area or move it to a higher position.
In most cases, your dog will have learned its lesson and will no longer approach the plant. Even so, it’s better to be safe than sorry.